Back to School
All of the signs that indicate it’s Back to School time is around us. School parking lots are full as teachers, principals, and others preparing for students. Shopping malls and school supply stores are packed as parents purchase clothes and goodies for the classroom. School buses are rolling with drivers taking their route in and around neighborhoods. This is particularly an exciting time for educators and families as we realize that the start of a new school year signifies a new beginning and greater opportunities for students to learn and grow.
Today I had the pleasure of meeting Makaila and Samiyah (top photo) as they returned to school to get their class schedule, meet their teacher, and reconnect with friends who they have not seen since the end of the last school year. Like their peers, Makaila and Samiyah are excited and ready to make this school year one of their best!
Here are 10 tips for a successful school year:
1. Have a healthy breakfast each day
2. Be prepared to listen and learn
3. Let your positive attitude shine
4. Ask for help when you need it
5. Challenge yourself to learn more
6. Share your experiences from the day with your parents
7. Do your homework and/or read daily
8. Take part in extracurricular activities
9. Limit television, cell phone, & social media time
10. Get plenty of rest
Student success can be achieved through the collective efforts of students, parents, teachers, school leaders, and community partners. Let’s all do our part.